Bed bugs can be found in almost any hotel, from a fancy 5 star all-inclusive to a shared dormitory, so making sure that you know what to check for is the first step in preventing them from coming into your home. Hopefully, these top tips will keep you from bringing home any unwanted visitors after your next trip;
- When you arrive at your room, don’t unpack. Place your luggage in the bathtub until you have completed your checks elsewhere in the bedroom.
- Make sure you pack a torch or use the light on your smartphone to carry out your inspection.
- Remove all bed linen from the mattress so that you can check the corners of the bed for dark spots or bugs.
- Use a credit card to examine the seams and folds of the mattress, as this is where the bugs like to hide.
- Once you’ve checked all corners and seams of the mattress, examine the sheets, cushions and bed linen.
- Bed bugs also like to hide in the cracks of bed posts, in skirting boards, nightstands, and upholstered furniture near the bed.
- Take your torch and check the curtains, paying attention to the bottoms, the seams, and any fastenings holding the curtains back.
- On your return home, hoover your luggage and dispose of the contents of the hoover immediately. Wash any contents on the hottest possible setting or place in a self-heating treatment bag which kills all bed bugs without the use of chemicals.
- Invest in bug resistant bedding such as the Bed Bug Protection Kit so that you can relax in the knowledge that bed bugs cannot infest your mattress.
If you would like to find out more about how mattress protectors can help you to protect the mattresses in your home, get in touch with our experienced, knowledgeable staff by calling 020 8731 0020 or email us via the Contact Us page.
You can also stay updated by liking our Facebook page.